Re: Fedora 34 Change: Deprecate xemacs, xemacs-packages-base, xemacs-packages-extra, and neXtaw (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 5:37 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it really worth it to go through a separate deprecation step?
> xemacs users can switch to emacs after xemacs is removed. I see that
> you are concerned about the plugins, but maybe it's just better to
> drop xemacs and the plugins in one go. If we notify the plugins'
> maintainers now, they'll still have a few months to try to port them
> to emacs (if suitable and porting is actually necessary).
> Normally, I'd be in favour of "dragging out" the removal a bit, but
> in this case I think we don't need to, because of the relatively
> close replacement and the small number of users.

I honestly have no idea how many users there are.  I have gotten bug
reports from time to time over the years, but it is possible that the
number of users has shrunk down to near zero, in which case I might be
worrying for nothing.

My reasoning for this change proposal was two-fold.  First, it
prevents the scope of the work from creeping while I'm trying to
remove all of the XEmacs-related bits from Fedora.  Second, it may
flush out anybody who will say, "You can pry my XEmacs from my cold
dead fingers!"  If anybody like that appears, then I get to say, "Well
then, you get to maintain it!" and hand over the packages. :-)

Does anybody else have an opinion on this?  If the consensus is that
deprecation is unnecessary, then I'll start contacting package
maintainers about dropping XEmacs support from their packages.

Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/