Re: What is the most time consuming task for you as packager?

Howdy,

On Sat, 2020-12-26 at 20:39 +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Hi,
> For me the most time consuming is monkey updates packages like kde
> apps
> , which every month or two we have a new release ( kde app 20.04.1
> 20.04.2 20.08.0 , 20.12.00 etc )
>
> I did some scripts to automate my builds , we got some software like
> https://github.com/fedora-infra/the-new-hotness/ ;
> but the more I do, I always some variables that are different from
> project to project , we need to know the version number, we may need
> download more than one source, we may need drop patches that we know
> that are already upstreamed, not all the package are build in same
> branches so we need to know what branches we want update , we may
> have
> to add buildroot-overrides, we need add build to bodhi and fill some
> information , we need close bugs create made by hotness or other
> users
> etc
>
> Examples of my scripts are usually in packages sources like
>
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/virtualbox-guest-additions/blob/master/f/update_vbox.sh
>

> or (in attachment) scripts in very quick-and-dirty style
>
> So, combine tools like rpmdevtools , the-new-hotness , bodhi-client
> etc
> we improve building automation .

My use case is similar: I comaintain a list of packages that Facebook
open-sources that need to be rebuilt in step (since sadly ABI stability
is not currently promised).

I've cleaned-up my scripts:
https://pagure.io/michel-slm/bulk-rebuild

and blogged about them:
https://michel-slm.name/posts/2020-12-30-fedora-bulk-rebuild/

They mostly wrap around rpmdev-bumpspec, fedpkg, and bodhi right now.

Curious to see how much can be factored out and shared among different
packagers that perform similar tasks. e.g. I see the GNOME packagers
doing bulk updates too.

One observation (also in the post):

The CLIs for fedpkg and koji is currently meant for human, not machine,
consumptions. Invoking them from Bash scripts and trying to use the
output (e.g. getting the name of that side tag) involves some brittle
parsing. I plan to rewrite this in Python anyway, but it might be
useful to add an output formatter to some commands where it makes sense
(e.g. request-side-tag or chain-build).

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim