Re: Upstream SPEC files - was: Re: patch applied without package maintainers' approve

On 16.11.2020 11:33, Felix Schwarz wrote:
I think the main idea is that we try not to create artificial "hierarchies". Especially for a volunteer maintainer who maintains a few packages there might be a pretty strong emotional attachment to his packages which try to keep up to the highest packaging standards. If some provenpackager just goes into "his" package and seems to play by a different set of rules this can be pretty demotivating.

The main upstream for Fedora packages is the Fedora Package Sources. If the package need to be fixed, it must be fixed.

If the maintainer wants to maintain a separate external copy, they should manually backport changes made on the Fedora side.

IMO, proven packagers are doing the right thing.

--
Sincerely,
  Vitaly Zaitsev (vitaly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)