Re: patch applied without package maintainers' approve

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 03:17:47PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > I'm one of package maintainers of rdma-core. There is a patch
> > applied without any maintainers' review/approve. I had sent two emails
> > to patch committer to ask him/her to push the change to upstream.
> > But never get response.
>
> So someone pinged me on IRC about this, I never saw the emails because
> you replied to the git commit and I auto archive/mute all those emails
> because I get a LOT of them. You never tried other communication
> mechanisms that I'm aware of such are IRC.
>
> Also note there is no packaging requirements to get approval from
> package maintainers.
>
> > The patch maybe useful or fix something. But the divergence between
> > upstream and Fedora rawhide is what I don't want to see, because
> > such divergence is source of regression issues.
>
> The addition of libpcap linking against libibverbs pulled in a whole
> of extra dependencies that aren't used by Workstation/Cloud or
> anything that doesn't have infinband. So this just splits it out to a
> smaller package, for a IB user they will see nothing different.

Split the package make sense. But you create a new sub-package with name
"libibverbs-core". I don't agree with the new name. The original
libibverbs package only includes the VERBs API library.

https://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/libibverbs/

In 2016, user-space drivers/providers, such as libmlx4, had been merged
libibverbs. We may should keep libibverbs only includes the VERBs API
library. And create a new sub-package as "libibverbs-providers".
I will discuss this with upstream.

> I don't see how a spec file change is a "regression", there's nothing

RHEL rdma-core builds are based on Fedora builds. Each time, when update
upstream rdma-core for RHEL, I will pull changes from Fedora repo if such
changes should be applied for RHEL too. The divergence between Fedora and
upstream makes my work complicated.

I just checked RHEL-9 nightly build, the libibverbs-core package already
in RHEL-9. I will have to handle this for RHEL-9.

> that will regress here, the rdma-core depends on the package and if
> anyone installs that they also get the new sub package, but if the
> general user doesn't have IB hardware, which is the vast majority of
> users even in the enterprise, they don't have to unnecessarily have
> extra stuff clogging up their system.
>
> In terms of "upstream" I'm not sure what you mean there, because

https://github.com/linux-rdma/rdma-core/blob/master/redhat/rdma-core.spec

It is the "upstream" spec file.

> upstream of Fedora is generally tar files but do feel free to push the
> change upstream if you prefer that for managing stuff.

I will work with upstream to split the libibverbs package.