Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Sa, 04.07.20 11:39, Mauricio Tavares (raubvogel@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 11:30 AM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mi, 01.07.20 22:10, Neal Gompa (ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >
> > > This could still work. But you really shouldn't accept butt-ugliness
> > > from any user-facing technology, even sd-boot.
> >
> > Dude, maybe what is "butt-ugly" and what isn't is in the eye of the
> > beholder, and maybe if you want to spend the day watching at your
> > pretty boot loader then you have a somewhat exotic desire.
> >
> > sd-boot is really designed to stay out of the view as much as
> > possible. It's UI (which was proposed by some GNOME designers back in
> > the day, as mentioned) is supposed to never show except when it really
> > has to. It's not a UI you spend time in.
> >
> > sd-boot is designed so that it passed as much information to the OS
> > about its context, about boot menu items and such as possible, and it
> > takes commands from the OS too. it does this, so that OS UIs (and not
> > boot loader UIs) are the primary way to choose what to boot
> > into. i.e. a pre-boot UI for selecting if you want to boot into
> > Windows, MacOS, or some Linux version is always going to be terrible,
>
>       So, sd-boot would only support some Linux OS as it relies on the OS UI?

You can always enter its UI if you like, which is useful if the OS you
come from doesn't support the interfaces as well as Linux does.

BTW, I think the best UI for sd-boot would be if gdm would simply show
the boot entries discovered in some menu accessible from the login
screen, so that the primary boot menu people would interface with is
actually GNOME itself.

btw, sd-boot has a few tricks up its sleeve: if during boot you keep
"w" pressed down it will automatically boot into windows, similar if
you keep "l" pressed down it will automaticall boot into linux, "a"
will boot into macos, all without showing any UI at all. This means
the boot menu can be hidden entirely during boot with a zero timeout,
but you can still boot into a specific boot entry.

Oh, and did I mention that sd-boot discovers Windows and MacOS X
installations at boot automatically, so that this all is really robust
and requires no writing out of turing complete scripts from any
installer or OS environment?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin