Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Saturday, July 4, 2020 8:59:09 AM MST Lennart Poettering wrote:
> You can always enter its UI if you like, which is useful if the OS you
> come from doesn't support the interfaces as well as Linux does.

That should really be the default, as with the default, sane, bootloader..

> BTW, I think the best UI for sd-boot would be if gdm would simply show
> the boot entries discovered in some menu accessible from the login
> screen, so that the primary boot menu people would interface with is
> actually GNOME itself.

What's the plan for non-GNOME systems? Has this plan been discussed with gdm
developers? How would this be implemented for hardened systems, such as those
using the `ncp` security profile, where the option to reboot or shutdown is
removed from the GDM screen?

> btw, sd-boot has a few tricks up its sleeve: if during boot you keep
> "w" pressed down it will automatically boot into windows, similar if
> you keep "l" pressed down it will automaticall boot into linux, "a"
> will boot into macos, all without showing any UI at all. This means
> the boot menu can be hidden entirely during boot with a zero timeout,
> but you can still boot into a specific boot entry.

That's actually awful, in my opinion, and objectively undiscoverable.. If
you'd like to see how it should be done, boot a VM with GRUB2 as the
bootloader. For a short period of time, you'll see a list of options, with the
default option highlighted. If you don't pick something different, or don't
need to enter a prompt to recover your device, it'll automatically boot. GRUB2
is nice in that it's powerful enough for those that need it, but simple enough
for those who don't want the complex features.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.