Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Saturday, July 4, 2020 9:19:34 AM MST Lennart Poettering wrote:
> If it way my decision I'd propose the following as the path to the
> future:
>
> 1. Unify/standardize on the boot loader spec, not the boot loader
>
> 2. Let's use UEFI as model and make MBR boots more alike UEFI then the
>    other way round (right now, UEFI boots in grub are considered a
>    special case, and booting on UEFI is attempted to be as close as
>    possible to MBR). i.e this is a race-to-the-bottom
>    vs. race-to-the-top issue: make the stuff that doesn't work like
>    today's industry standard work like it, and don't make today's hw
>    work like the industry standard of yesteryear.

GRUB2 + BIOS boot is currently the best way to boot a system, as it actually
supports situations such as full disk encryption, boot from btrfs or ZFS,
including ZFS with native encryption.

> Specifically this means:
>
> a. Teach grub proper boot loader spec support (and maybe boot loader
>    interface support too,
>    i.e. https://systemd.io/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION +
>    https://systemd.io/BOOT_LOADER_INTERFACE)

That systemd throws some crap out doesn't make it a standard. There's no
reason for GRUB to adopt this, or for anyone else to use this.

> b. Prepare a static no-module build of Grub that reimplements roughly
>    how booting on EFI works: i.e. support only VFAT file systems, then
>    search for suitable partitions (ESP/XBOOTLDR), and retrieve boot
>    loader spec entries from them, and populate the menu by it, and
>    that's it. Do this the same way on all archs we support, regardless
>    if MBR or ARM or EFI boot protocols.

There is even less reason to *remove* features from GRUB, to make up for the
alternative bootloaders having less.

> As I understand a good chunk of a/b already exists.
>
> With these changes it doesn't matter too much which boot loader is
> used, it can be sd-boot or Grub. Or it could even be the native boot
> loader spec support in firmware (i.e. LinuxBoot). It doesn't matter
> anymore.

Please note that projects such as Libreboot (blobless coreboot with GRUB as
the payload) currently assume that the installed system either uses GRUB2 or
syslinux/isolinux.

> but the effect of this approach would be great: suddenly "systemctl
> kexec" and "systemctl reboot --boot-loader-entry=" would jus twork for
> all these boot loaders, and installers could all understand each
> other's drop-ins and logic, on all archs... And you could switch boot
> loaders any day and there's a major chance things would just work. You
> could multi-boot between Linux distros without having the boot loaders
> overwrite each others data all the time.

How does `systemctl kexec` differ from `kexec`? Can it not simply use `kexec`
under the hood? What's the benefit of supporting `--boot-loader-entry=`?

You can already multiboot between Linux distros, and we've been able to do so,
as well as between other families of OS, for about two decades now.

> Note that I personally would actually prefer if the firmware would
> natively implement the boot loader spec and we wouldn't have to have
> sd-boot around at all. Such a scheme would be fantastic actually, as
> it would remove so many variables from the stack.
>
> sd-boot exists only to add the minimum on top of EFI to make the above
> work, i.e. something that in an ideal world would just be subsumed by
> the firmware itself.

We don't need more bloat in the UEFI stack. It's already painfully specific to
Windows based platforms, and it's a complete hack that it works for our
systems now. Do you remember the state of UEFI in the RHEL6 days?

--
John M. Harris, Jr.