Re: Why distributions package software (was: Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG)

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 6:38 AM Igor Raits
<ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-05-14 at 06:33 -0500, Ty Young wrote:
> > Nonsense spewing with no proof.
>
> Well, you have started this. Can you provide some statistics how many
> bugs were introduced by distributions versus upstream bugs.

My experience has been that when a packager actively maintains a
package, the number of bugs fixed due to packager activity far
outweighs the number of bugs introduced.  We do not just blindly
consume upstream.  The work of a distribution is integration work,
which few upstreams even think about.  In the process of doing that
integration work, we discover problems with upstream code, upstream
build systems, upstream interactions with other components, and feed
bug reports and patches back upstream.  Many packages are in better
shape *for everyone* because they were packaged for Fedora.

Of course, if you've got a packager who isn't paying attention, things
can deteriorate.  That's why we have mechanisms for finding and
orphaning packages that don't appear to be maintained.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/