Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 09:45:15PM +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> This past weekend I finally decided to jump off the cliff and attempt
> to re-launch the Java SIG. It seems there's some interest in keeping
> the Java stack maintained, it's just not focused or organized right
> now.
>
> What we did when starting the Stewardship SIG seems to have worked out
> pretty well, so I'm trying to follow in those footsteps here:
>
> - new proper FAS / pkgdb group: java-maint-sig ("java-sig" is occupied
> by an old, unused bot account)
> - new private mailing list: java-maint-sig (for RHBZ bugs - so,
> possibly, also CVEs - hence, private)
> - tracking project on pagure: https://pagure.io/java-maint-sig (for
> maintenance scripts, tracking tickets, awesome package dashboards,
> etc.)
>
> There's already a public fedora mailing list for Java (java-devel),
> and and IRC channel (#fedora-java on freenode.net), which we will
> continue to use. Sadly, the existing wiki page for the Java SIG is
> hopelessly outdated, so I'm tempted to just scrap it and point readers
> to the pagure tracking project once it's set up beyond a basic README
> file.

The wiki is not that bad actually. The links to guidelines and package
lists are still useful. Even the packaging wishlist is mostly up to
date since we didn't manage to touch most of the items ;)
So maybe just nuke the outdated parts (member lists, "state of affairs"
content), and keep the rest?

> Major upcoming projects for the "new" Java Package Maintainers group include:
>
> - managing OpenJDK 11 / Java 11 transition for hundreds of Java
> packages in fedora 33
> - starting to transition well-maintained Java packages from the
> Stewardship SIG back into Java SIG
> - possibly porting packages from gradle to maven to fix build issues
> and broken dependencies

What about packaging gradle instead? (In the cases I looked into,
porting from gradle to maven would be rewriting the build system from
scratch. Assuming that we have tens and will have hundreds of packages
with gradle, in the long term it seems better to support gradle, even
in some partial form, than to rewrite build systems of hundreds of
packages...).

> - transitioning from old java.net / JavaEE projects to the new ones
> now under the eclipse-ee4j umbrella
>
> I know that - among others - the PKI team, Neuro SIG, and Eclipse
> maintainers depend on parts of the java stack for their packages, so I
> hope that we can work together with them on these things, as well.
>
> So, if you're interested, please consider joining this group effort.
> I'll get new members set up with the FAS group / pagure project / mailing list.

Yep, count me in.

Zbyszek