Re: Modularity Survey

On Wed, 2020-04-08 at 08:41 -0400, Alex Scheel wrote:

> There's a marketing piece from 2017 that alleges that none of gsuite
> (including their gmail for gsuite!) gets scanned for ads:
>
> https://www.blog.google/products/gmail/g-suite-gains-traction-in-the-enterprise-g-suites-gmail-and-consumer-gmail-to-more-closely-align/
>

> I think we can agree that--at one point in time (2014-2017)--Google's
> position was that they aren't scanning gsuite content.

But that's not what a GDPR declaration is about at all. It doesn't have
anything to do with what the entity who gets the data claims they are
or are not doing with it. Only with whether or not they get the data.

I don't know or care whether Google is automatically scanning the
content for the purpose of showing advertising or not, really. But
that's not the question here at all.

> I'll make the assumption that, were this to have changed, a number
> of large businesses would've been upset and there would've been
> media reports and potentially legal proceedings. I haven't found
> any. :-)

Again I don't know why you're all making assumptions like this? Don't
you read the news? Google (and Facebook et al) have been "caught" doing
all sorts of stuff with user data all the time. It does make the news.
Frequently. https://www.theverge.com/interface is a good column if you
want to keep up with this sort of stuff. But, regardless, it *doesn't
matter*. If you're going to make a declaration about who's getting the
data, it should be accurate. It doesn't matter what those entities are
or are not doing with it, because that's not what your declaration
said, it didn't say "this data is only being given to third parties who
pinky-swear not to automatically scan it for advertising purposes", it
said "The raw data will not be provided to anyone else at Red Hat or
any 3rd parties".
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey