Re: Modularity Survey

On Wed, 2020-04-08 at 10:25 +0200, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 7:22 PM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2020-04-07 at 13:12 -0400, Alex Scheel wrote:
> > > I'm sure we can trust that Red Hat did its
> > >
> > > due diligence and Google isn't using responses to a customer's form to
> > >
> > > track those taking the survey.
> >
> > I don't really know why you'd think anyone can trust that. Google
> > tracks everyone everywhere as hard as it can. It's what Google *does*.
> >
> > But I didn't actually suggest it's Terribly Awful to run this survey
> > through Google. I just said the privacy declaration seems to be wrong.
> >

> I personally considered it quite clear that the intended meaning was that
> they are not giving the data away to anyone external deliberately. Your
> not published in raw form. Yes there are servers and software providers
> along the way. But this way you could also include the ISPs who also are
> not prevented from snooping in your packets (and it's trivial at least for
> plain text emails). And even if they provided a "direct" way to send your
> email provider for most RedHatters. So there's no improvement at all.

Er. It's a Google Survey, provided over https. Email is not involved.

"On behalf of Red Hat's Modularity team, I'd like to ask you to fill
out a survey on Modularity:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScOA97rGONieSOYmlZLsHdkq-EhdePZ4IN3RwOjJKd1F1a9sw/viewform?usp=sf_link";

so there is no involvement of email servers, and the data is encrypted
so no, your ISP can't snoop on it.

I sort of got the intended meaning as well. But this seems to be a
legally-required GDPR text, I don't think "we sort of get what you
mean" cuts the mustard for those. If the data is going to Google it's
going to Google and I think that's supposed to be declared.

> I'm not saying we shouldn't talk about it, but the points mentioned are
> common for most data submissions anywhere. I don't think it was the core of
> the message.

The bullet point I quoted was under "Privacy / GDPR:". Pretty sure it's
the "core" of that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey