Re: Modularity Survey

----- Original Message -----

(I'm not on the modularity team).

Look folks. This isn't a Fedora-only survey. It is a survey run by Red Hat
members who are looking to engage with a community that includes Fedora,
Red Hat, CentOS and a bunch of other stakeholders as well. I think we can
all recognize that Google Apps usage is high among businesses.

Yeah, if this were a Fedora-only survey, we all would've hoped they'd go
for an open source tool. But it isn't Fedora-only. And pretending like it
matters for this IMO, isn't a legitimate complaint. This is a business
backed Google Apps account. I'm sure we can trust that Red Hat did its
due diligence and Google isn't using responses to a customer's form to
track those taking the survey. But by definition, they need to hold a copy
of that data. Someone, somewhere would. That's how the internet works.

I sit on the new Modularity meetings now. I'll be the first to admit I'm not
a strong supporter of Modularity. I've been very vocal against it in the
past. But I do think that this new team is honestly trying to do the right
thing and engage with the community. They aren't trying to push features
top-down and they're trying to understand what is wrong and are trying
their best to fix it.

Part of that is collecting data and stories from people.

If we, as a community, push them away now, we'll never see any much-needed
improvements to modularity. And tbh, I'm not even sure we're in a place now
where we could remove it if we truly needed to, without a lot of pain in the
upgrade path.

Let's try and be reasonable here.

I'm willing to pass along any comments people have individually.

Thanks,

- Alex