Re: Modularity Survey

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 7:22 PM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2020-04-07 at 13:12 -0400, Alex Scheel wrote:
> I'm sure we can trust that Red Hat did its
>
> due diligence and Google isn't using responses to a customer's form to
>
> track those taking the survey.

I don't really know why you'd think anyone can trust that. Google
tracks everyone everywhere as hard as it can. It's what Google *does*.

But I didn't actually suggest it's Terribly Awful to run this survey
through Google. I just said the privacy declaration seems to be wrong.

I personally considered it quite clear that the intended meaning was that they are not giving the data away to anyone external deliberately. Your responses will be read and understood by a very small group of people and not published in raw form. Yes there are servers and software providers along the way. But this way you could also include the ISPs who also are not prevented from snooping in your packets (and it's trivial at least for plain text emails). And even if they provided a "direct" way to send your responses to their email, and we ignored the ISPs, still, Google is the email provider for most RedHatters. So there's no improvement at all.

I'm not saying we shouldn't talk about it, but the points mentioned are common for most data submissions anywhere. I don't think it was the core of the message.