Re: Java Dev Group and Fedora Quality

Mario Torre <neugens@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 5:28 PM Robbie Harwood <rharwood@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> You would not expect a GCC devroom to be concerned about the
>>> problems of all packages written in C and C++, so why would Java be
>>> any different?
>>
>> Honestly?  I totally would expect that.  Wouldn't that be better for
>> everyone?
>>
>> Compilers aren't special here: every package that wishes to continue
>> to have users *needs* to care about those users.  Maintenance and
>> features need to be tailored to actual use cases.  Otherwise, it's a
>> waste of time, and just further irritates said users.
>
> That's not the place for such discussions, this is not a problem that
> is general to Java (and wouldn't be general to the C or C++ languages
> in the case of the GCC example above), is specific to Fedora

Java packaging being extremely difficult is not a Fedora-specific
problem.  The modularity effects are, but the packaging has been
known-hard for a very long time in many distros (and even outside a
distro context, it's not fun to work with the Java package managers).

> and even more specific to some of the packages and needs to be
> addressed within the Fedora community. If there are problems that leak
> upstream in terms of patching requirements the maintainers (and
> perhaps the package users) have the duty to carry this work, you can't
> expect the rest of the world to discuss those issues during a
> developer conference dedicated to the programming language and its
> development, even when there is a mild overlap in interest because
> some of the involved people are the same,

I think that the language and its packaging are too intertwined to be
separated like that.  Look at what python does (or any number of other
languages like it such as rust) - package building and dependencies go
through the same body (the PEP system) as everything else in the
language.  It's not left without attempting to be solved.

But I don't think we will come to agreement on this.

> and neither you can draw conclusions on the interests of the Red Hat
> Java leadership based on the schedule alone.

(For what it's worth, I'm not interested in doing that which is why I
trimmed the email the way I did, though I know Nicolas was.)

Thanks,
--Robbie