Re: Java Dev Group and Fedora Quality

Le dimanche 26 janvier 2020 à 00:10 +0000, Bill Chatfield via devel a
écrit :
> That's a very sad story. I had no idea. So it sounds like you mainly
> need maintainers for Java packages. I have worked on building RPMs
> but I have never been a package maintainer. However I have 20 years
> of experience as a Java developer, so I'm pretty confident I can be
> helpful. How should I go forward? Is there a particular package that
> would be good to start with?

The core competence for reviving the Java SIG seems to be people skill.
ie being able to convince the Java upstreams to fix the things that
make current Java packaging hell, making people give up.

Unfortunately, doing it in Fedora is starting with a severe handicap.
Because of the Red Hat/IBM affiliation, others will expect Red Hat/IBM
Java projects to be exemplary, and dismiss requests that diverge from
what they see happening Red Hat/IBM side (do what you  preach, etc).

Java has been in a terminal course in Fedora for a year at least. You
can see how much Red Hat Java leadership cares about the situation by
consulting next week’s Java dev room schedule. Red Hat is co-
organisator of this dev room
https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/track/free_java/

I honestly don’t see a way out of this situation. It will spread to
more technical areas as Red Hat/IBM diversify without care for Fedora
needs. The Red Hat link is too strong for Fedora to act as a third
party WRT Red Hat interests.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot