Re: Java Dev Group and Fedora Quality

Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 1/26/20 11:52 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>> Okay, I'll bite. I am part of the Red Hat Java leadership.
>>>
>>> I'm pleased with this year's FOSDEM schedule. People have submitted
>>> a lot of interesting-looking talks, and I expect it'll be a good
>>> day. I take it that you don't approve of this list, but I don't know
>>> what it is you don't like about it.
>>
>> I was just pointing out that devroom schedules reflect the interests
>> and priorities of the people organizing the devroom. And that those
>> interests and priorities do not include Java getting in such a state
>> that all the Fedora maintainers quit, major apps no loner work, and
>> users are migrating elsewhere.
>
> You would not expect a GCC devroom to be concerned about the problems
> of all packages written in C and C++, so why would Java be any
> different?

Honestly?  I totally would expect that.  Wouldn't that be better for
everyone?

Compilers aren't special here: every package that wishes to continue to
have users *needs* to care about those users.  Maintenance and features
need to be tailored to actual use cases.  Otherwise, it's a waste of
time, and just further irritates said users.

Thanks,
--Robbie