Re: Allow comments and discussion even though an update was pushed to stable

On Sun, 2019-12-08 at 08:51 +0000, Mattia Verga via devel wrote:
> Il 07/12/19 19:32, Adam Williamson ha scritto:
> > But we already explained this. Comments on stable updates are not
> > primarily for the maintainer, they are for *users*. Users tend to refer
> > to Bodhi notes, if anything, more than maintainers do.
> >
> ...and that's exactly the behavior that the change tries to avoid. From
> the original RFE https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/issues/2050 :
>
> > It appears that some users think that adding comments to an update
> > which has been push to stable for weeks is a reasonable way to report
> > an issue. And while I don't want to ignore them, I also don't have a
> > good way to answer them besides adding further spam to a long-closed
> > update.

Still no. That's talking about the behaviour of *the person posting the
comment*. That's not who I'm talking about. I'm talking about *people
who run Fedora*, who notice an issue with their system after installing
a particular update. A perfectly normal thing to do in that case is to
go and look at the update in question in Bodhi. A comment added to that
update will be seen by such a user.

It is much harder for our poor user to go and look up a bug in
Bugzilla, because it's a much more cumbersome system to use and there
may well be several hundred other bug reports on the same package.
Finding one caused by the specific update in question may well require
finicky search work the user may not have the ability/inclination to
carry out.

> Closing comments on a stable update will force users to refer to BZ, so
> that maintainers can focus on that channel. Instead, enabling users to
> comment on closed updates it probably means (50%?) that the same user
> will not open any bug in BZ, because we're all lazy, and "hey, I already
> posted a comment, I don't want to bother to write the same things on BZ"...

Again, not the 'user' I'm talking about.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey