Re: Allow comments and discussion even though an update was pushed to stable

On Sat, 2019-12-07 at 10:46 -0700, Jerry James wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 9:50 AM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'm curious about this. I do get email notifications for all changes and
> > comments for all my own bodhi updates plus for every update that I
> > commented on. Have you turned this off, or do you mean to say you're going
> > to ignore bodhi emails?
> >

> Speaking only for myself, yes I ignore bodhi emails.  Why?  I get huge
> amounts of email, so I've developed some survival strategies.  One of them
> is to ignore sources of noise.  Bodhi emails are mostly noise.  Almost
> always, when bodhi sends me email, the email tells me something I already
> know.  A build finished.  Yes, I know.  I saw the "fedpkg build" command
> complete.  I didn't need even one email about it, much less multiple
> emails.  If you want me to pay attention to bodhi emails, then the
> signal-to-noise ratio has to improve dramatically.
>
> It would be enough to let users comment on an update for, let's say, a week
> > after it's pushed to stable. That way, immediate feedback isn't lost, but
> > bugs that are found after that time period need to go to bugzilla.
> >

> I agree with Mattia on this.  Once an update has gone stable, there is no
> possibility of modifying it, so commenting on it further is not useful.
> File a bug please.  Then I can create a new update to fix the problem, and
> a link to the update will be added to the bug.

But we already explained this. Comments on stable updates are not
primarily for the maintainer, they are for *users*. Users tend to refer
to Bodhi notes, if anything, more than maintainers do.

Multiple people have already said this is not an either/or question.
It's not a case of *either* flagging an issue up via Bugzilla *or*
doing it via Bodhi. It's both: you file a bug for the maintainer, and
you add a note on Bodhi pointing to the bug for users who monitor
Bodhi.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey