Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 6:09 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 13. 11. 19 23:27, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > So I guess the proposal is underspecified. What I really propose, and how I
> > read Miro's proposal as well (Miro, please correct me if that is not what
> > you intend), is that 1. any package that exists in a module MUST have a
> > default version and that 2. that version MUST be packaged in the ursine/non-
> > modular repository, not as a default stream.
> >
> > Point 1. is essential, as otherwise, point 2. alone will just lead to people
> > not declaring a default version at all, which is a completely broken state
> > and so even worse than the situation with the default stream, despite all
> > the issues with default streams.
>
> While I agree that this is what we should desire, it was deliberately left out
> of my proposal. My idea was to keep the ability of modular only packages, for
> the maintainers who decided that this is what they want to do things. For
> basically 2 reasons:
>
> 1. I don't see a reason for modular only packages without defaults, it doesn't
> mean there is none.

Modular packages without defaults makes sense if they have
dependencies on a non-default stream. For example: ReviewBoard depends
on the Django:1.6 stream because of complicated upstream reasons. I
have to choose between "modular without a default stream" or "not
available on Fedora", because we have agreed on a prohibition on
default streams with dependencies on non-default streams.