Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> 1) there are exactly 6 default streams in Fedora rawhide
>
> dwm
> avocado
> scala
> ant
> gimp
> maven
>
> and eclipse is being discussed.

What about libgit2, was that not a default stream?

And what we are missing here is a list of modular packages with no default
version at all (i.e., neither an ursine build nor a default stream), a state
which is completely broken (but which seems to currently exist in Fedora,
unfortunately).

>> > Anyway, default streams is just one side of a story. It did get into
>> > the critical path of Fedora and did create upgrade problems and
>> > certain UX issues, but I think we can restrict and resolve it.
>>
>> And what is wrong with the obvious solution, which is to just not use
>> default streams at all?
>
> The "obvious solution" does not solve anything for the Java stack in
> Fedora and four Java modules currently having default stream.

So I guess the proposal is underspecified. What I really propose, and how I
read Miro's proposal as well (Miro, please correct me if that is not what
you intend), is that 1. any package that exists in a module MUST have a
default version and that 2. that version MUST be packaged in the ursine/non-
modular repository, not as a default stream.

Point 1. is essential, as otherwise, point 2. alone will just lead to people
not declaring a default version at all, which is a completely broken state
and so even worse than the situation with the default stream, despite all
the issues with default streams.

(Please note that I also read those 2 points as implicitly banning filtering
packages from modules, but if that is not obvious to someone, then it should
be added as a separate rule.)

>> Why can the default version not be shipped in the
>> tried and true non-modular way, so that people who do not need or want
>> modules are not forced to use them against their will?
>
> This is a question to package maintainers who want to enable the default
> stream. But by using your "will" as an argument against their "will" we
> are not going anywhere in this conversation.

We should cater to our users' needs, not let a handful individual packagers
unilaterally dictate their personal preferences to thousands of users.

There are several practical reasons for not wanting to use modules, as I
have already mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Please read my other
replies, I do not want to repeat myself.

        Kevin Kofler