Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 5:29 PM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> > 1) there are exactly 6 default streams in Fedora rawhide
> >
> > dwm
> > avocado
> > scala
> > ant
> > gimp
> > maven
> >
> > and eclipse is being discussed.
>
> What about libgit2, was that not a default stream?

It was not. It was a dependency of other modules.

> And what we are missing here is a list of modular packages with no default
> version at all (i.e., neither an ursine build nor a default stream), a state
> which is completely broken (but which seems to currently exist in Fedora,
> unfortunately).

Could you define "broken"? Because I have no idea what you're talking
about here. If it is module-only and has no default stream, it means
it's effectively invisible unless you enable a stream knowingly.

> >> And what is wrong with the obvious solution, which is to just not use
> >> default streams at all?
> >
> > The "obvious solution" does not solve anything for the Java stack in
> > Fedora and four Java modules currently having default stream.
>
> So I guess the proposal is underspecified. What I really propose, and how I
> read Miro's proposal as well (Miro, please correct me if that is not what
> you intend), is that 1. any package that exists in a module MUST have a
> default version and that 2. that version MUST be packaged in the ursine/non-
> modular repository, not as a default stream.
>
> Point 1. is essential, as otherwise, point 2. alone will just lead to people
> not declaring a default version at all, which is a completely broken state
> and so even worse than the situation with the default stream, despite all
> the issues with default streams.

Again, you can't just say "it's broken" and leave it at that. Some
clarity as to what you think is wrong there is critical.

> (Please note that I also read those 2 points as implicitly banning filtering
> packages from modules, but if that is not obvious to someone, then it should
> be added as a separate rule.)

It does not implicitly ban filtering packages. It implicitly bans
filtering out *sub*-packages. It still think it's acceptable to filter
out *all* produced subpackages of a component that is used only at
build-time.

> >> Why can the default version not be shipped in the
> >> tried and true non-modular way, so that people who do not need or want
> >> modules are not forced to use them against their will?
> >
> > This is a question to package maintainers who want to enable the default
> > stream. But by using your "will" as an argument against their "will" we
> > are not going anywhere in this conversation.
>
> We should cater to our users' needs, not let a handful individual packagers
> unilaterally dictate their personal preferences to thousands of users.

This is literally the entire point of a distribution. We provide an
opinionated collection of software packaged for people to use. This is
no different than RPMs. As a packager, I can decide arbitrarily to
ship a different default configuration than upstream does if I think
it makes more sense for the users we are serving. I can opt not to
build some features of a package if doing so would require pulling in
a huge set of dependencies, etc.

All of that is dictating the packager's preferences on our users.

What you are saying is that *you* don't like what you are hearing
about modules. And that's fine; some of your feedback has been
constructive and we're taking it into account. But assuming that you
represent the whole of the user community is somewhat of an
overstatement. As I discussed in the blog post I wrote, this was
designed with users in mind.

Yes, we acknowledge that with multiple versions comes the risks of
introducing more conflicts. We balanced that out by acknowledging that
the container space is now mature enough that separating userspaces
when you need to run conflicting apps on the same machine is a
reasonable solution to that problem. You've asserted elsewhere that
you don't like containers as a technology because it's duplication of
content and doesn't espouse your view of the ideal distribution of
"everything uses the same (latest) version of the library". I
understand that, but containers are here to stay and Modules help us
provide trustworthy content for them.

Believe me, I wish that the ideal distribution was possible too. The
reality is that the world has gone in a different direction and Fedora
needs to adapt to that. Holding the line and refusing to budge just
means people will go around us and stop considering us relevant.