Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 1:15 PM Robbie Harwood <rharwood@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Robbie Harwood <rharwood@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> >> My intention was to provide some scope to the problem, because it
> >> seemed that a lot of alternatives being floated were not seeing some
> >> of the more subtle cases that we were trying to address. However, the
> >> biggest problem is that nearly every email to the list has been
> >> started with a "Begging the Question" Fallacy. People have started
> >> from the premise that "Modularity is Bad" and all of the rest of the
> >> conversation has continued from there. I'd like to provide an
> >> opportunity for us as a community to *constructively* state our
> >> grievances with Modularity. The fundamental root cause of some of the
> >> miscommunication is, I believe, that Modularity has problems and that
> >> people have assumed that they are fundamental and unfixable.
> >
> > Your framing here precludes a complete redesign, and that option needs
> > to be on the table for any real progress in communication and trust to
> > be made.  If others have "begged" that "modularity is bad", you have
> > done the same for "modularity is good".
>
> It's really frustrating to be repeatedly told we're not arguing in good
> faith and then see things like this (from today's fesco meeting [1]):
>
>     15:48:07 <sgallagh> Can we please stop pretending like "start over
>     from scratch" is a real option?
>
> Starting from scratch should be an option.  Removing modularity entirely
> should be an option.  Of course, so should be using modularity as it
> exists (or modifying it), but if we don't have those first two as
> options when there are proponents, this isn't a real technical
> discussion.

That quote is not fully in context, but that's entirely fair because I
didn't include enough context during the FESCo meeting. I apologize
for that. (Also, as you can tell from the rest of the log, I was
getting frustrated by that point).

When I said it's not a real option, I did not include any of my
reasoning (thus Begging the Question as you rightly point out). My
reasoning is basically this:

* Everyone on the Modularity Team is being paid by Red Hat to work on
Modularity.
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 shipped with Modularity.
* The Modularity Team is responsible for maintaining that in RHEL 8
regardless of what happens in Fedora.
* A full redesign in Fedora is not realistically possible with the
people and resources we have available to us while also maintaining
the current implementation for ten years.
* Therefore we are focused on trying to get the current implementation
into better shape (and/or finding a safe migration strategy to a new
solution) rather than start from an entirely green field.

Thank you, Robbie, for calling me out on this. I did need to explain
this more fully.