Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Modules in Non-Modular Buildroot

On Fri, 2019-10-18 at 11:21 -0400, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> Obviously we
> can't use their code wholesale without migrating to APT, but as you
> say,
> the goal is to derive inspiration.

I honestly think it should be on the table to consider switching to a
different packaging technology than rpm/dnf. Collaborating with other
distributions to solve common problems has benefits. We do that to some
extent with SUSE (which is cool!), but not to the fullest extent one
could imagine.

But yeah as you say here, my original point was more that we could
learn from what others did and integrate similar concepts into RPM/dnf,
especially since what they did was simpler, and as a result of that
simplicity didn't struggle to gain adoption. Those concepts were also
easier to write the code to make them happen. For example, adding a
slot field to the RPM would be pretty easy and I think is obvious that
we wouldn't need to create build services like Ursa Major to make that
work. We would need a change to Koji and dnf to consider the slot as
part of a package's uniqueness, but I think that's a small change in
comparison. It's easier to create and easier to use, which I see as a
win-win.

Thanks for mentioning the Debian solution. I wasn't familiar with that
one. This means we have even more solutions to study for inspiration.

Too fast, too slow is a solved problem and there are existing solutions
to learn from or even adapt. We don't need to make our own.