Re: Next F31 push?

On Fri, 2019-10-18 at 07:18 +0000, Leigh Scott wrote:
> > On Fri, 2019-10-18 at 07:50 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >
> > I mean, in the end it would be self-defeating, because the high chance
> > that it would introduce more problems would just mean we'd need to
> > freeze again for longer.
> >

> So you get a working ISO for release then break it by releasing untested updates  after GA :-(

They're not untested, they get lots of feedback because they're stuck
in updates-testing for so long. :P

The main issue is the difference between testing an update *as an
update to an installed system* and testing its impact on the compose
and deployment process.

Bodhi is good at getting us feedback on the first of those. It's quite
rare that an update gets pushed stable which really breaks stuff when
you install it as an update to an installed system. The problem the
freezes help with is that Bodhi is not so great at telling us when an
update causes problems with the compose process or breaks the installer
or something, because it's not easy to test that. (We've made it a bit
better in the last year or so by having openQA build live and installer
images with the update packages and test those, but that covers much
less than the whole compose process and all the installer
functionality).

The other issue is that it's *less bad* for a bad update to get out as
a 0-day update than it is for it to be in the frozen compose set. Bugs
that get baked into the live images or the installer are there forever.
A bug that only goes out in an update can be replaced by a fixed
update.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey