Re: Next F31 push?

> Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > AFAIK , the logic is request an freeze exception , or next push will be
> > just after F31 GA .
> > I'd like have one unfreeze and push all packages that are waiting to be
> > pushed to stable, when we have an NO-GO.
> > I already made this request in past and, in resume, the idea was
> > rejected with some valid arguments, which I accepted ...
>
> I have also made this request more than once and would still be in favor of
> it, but the QA team is worried that this would introduce more bugs and
> either delay the release further or make us ship with more bugs. It is a
> tough call. I think such long freezes are a pain for packagers and also
> delay (and keep out of the GA images) bug fixes and even security fixes
> (also because the stable release updates are affected too if you do not want
> to break the upgrade path), but I also understand where QA is coming from.

I mean, in the end it would be self-defeating, because the high chance
that it would introduce more problems would just mean we'd need to
freeze again for longer.

As things stand I'm reasonably confident we'll be able to Go next week,
so it shouldn't be too much longer. As long as we don't let Kamil test
it too hard and find too many blockers, of course.

We do tweak the release schedule every so often, right now the freeze
periods are fairly long compared to the historical average. I do think
that's given us a benefit in terms of how little slippage we've had for
the last few releases, though; we could always consider freezing a bit
later, but it might result in us slipping more...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey