Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Modules in Non-Modular Buildroot

Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 14:15, Randy Barlow <bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Or better, can we employ a solution that another distribution has
>> developed?
>
> Not without using their packaging system, their build system and their
> other design choices. Working out slots would mean needing to make
> changes into how RPM works and how yum/dnf work. It might also not be
> possible because a bit of Gentoo's magic is letting the local system
> build all the different slot choices instead of having to build all
> the combinatorics that having 3 different glibc and N gcc compilers
> would need. To do the magic NixOS does.. we need to eject the FHS and
> use a similar system. At that point, we aren't developing Fedora
> anymore.. we are developing a clone of NixOS or Gentoo. [And there
> would be no magic way to move from a Fedora 33 system to Fedora-Nix-34
> or Fedora-Gen-34.. at which point we might as well just call the whole
> thing from scratch.] If we are going that far we might as well rewrite
> conary in python3 or rust and start from there...
>
> So any solution will have to 'learn' the lessons of these groups but
> design and write a solution from scratch to meet them.

While you're right that the solutions from source distros (i.e., NixOS
and Gentoo) would be very hard to adapt, binary distros have also solved
this problem in different ways.  I'm most familiar with Debian's
solution (virtual packages[2], provides:, and alternatives [1]) which
to my mind maps much more clearly onto Fedora's setup.  Obviously we
can't use their code wholesale without migrating to APT, but as you say,
the goal is to derive inspiration.

Thanks,
--Robbie

1: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAlternatives