[HEADS-UP] maven 3.6 in rawhide next week

Hello Packagers,

As some of you might not have been aware, the Stewardship SIG has been
busy keeping the Java stack in fedora alive and working. We're now
left with 0 build failures on all current branches of fedora for our
235 packages, and no open FTBFS / FTI or known security issues.

We've also been working on getting the stack more up-to-date again,
since it had been more or less mostly untouched and neglected since
2017. We managed to reduce the ratio of outdated packages from over
60% to below 30% (even while slowly increasing the number of packages
we maintain), and the remaining open PRs should get us to ~25%.

One of the last missing package updates is to upgrade maven from 3.5.2
to the 3.6 branch. This version is already available from the
stream-maven-3.6 and stream-javapackages-tools-201901 modular
branches, but it has not been available for normal builds and users.
I've worked to "port" the 3.6.1 update to the master branch, and we
have a working package, with a pending pull request:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/maven/pull-request/11

I have also triggered test rebuilds of all packages that
(Build)Require maven recursively in any way, *twice* (with the second
run against packages from the first build), and the update does not
cause any new build failures compared to the current state of rawhide:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/decathorpe/maven-3.6-pr/monitor/

If no new issues pop up (or somebody screams PLEASE NO), I will merge
the PR and push the 3.6.1 update to rawhide next Friday (October 25).
I will then continue to monitor koschei for any unintended / uncaught
issues that may occur (though there shouldn't be any, according to the
test rebuilds).

The upgrade to maven 3.6 will allow us to do some more package
updates, including xmvn 3.1.0 (already prepared and more or less
ready), and 3.6 is also required by the latest versions of eclipse.

Also, for now, we'll stick to maven 3.6.1 and evaluate a further
update to 3.6.2 later, but from an initial review it looks like that
version will require some other things to be updated and/or packaged
before we can push it to rawhide.

Fabio (decathorpe)
Stewardship SIG