Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Modules in Non-Modular Buildroot

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:44:46PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> The net result of this proposed Change for the end user is still the same as
> the status quo: They have to use modules whether they want to or not, the
> choice is taken away from them. And while the default stream approach tries
> to hide Modularity from the users (and with this proposed Change, also from
> the packagers of dependent packages), the abstraction is leaky, as
> evidenced, e.g., by the libgit2 upgrade blocker.

Yup, it is certainly not perfect and we'll have to work through those
kinds of issues carefully as Stephen & others are doing.  I am very
confident in trusting Fedora developers to make sensible choices for our
users, though - including whether we should make packages module-only.

As package maintainers we all make technical decisions which have
significant impact on our users every day - whether that's in the choice
of defaults, choice of build flags, or whatever.  Honestly delivering as
modules-vs-non-modules is a completely trivial issue compared to most of
the stuff I spend time on.  If "yum install X" still works most people
just don't care about the RPM/dnf/repo mechanics behind that.

If you don't want to ship any of your packages as modules I think that's
great and you should continue doing that.  On the other hand, I want to
move a bunch of my packages to module-only because I think I can do a
better job serving Fedora users that way.

Regards, Joe