Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Modules in Non-Modular Buildroot

On 15. 10. 19 12:10, Joe Orton wrote:
On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:44:46PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
The net result of this proposed Change for the end user is still the same as
the status quo: They have to use modules whether they want to or not, the
choice is taken away from them. And while the default stream approach tries
to hide Modularity from the users (and with this proposed Change, also from
the packagers of dependent packages), the abstraction is leaky, as
evidenced, e.g., by the libgit2 upgrade blocker.

Yup, it is certainly not perfect and we'll have to work through those
kinds of issues carefully as Stephen & others are doing.  I am very
confident in trusting Fedora developers to make sensible choices for our
users, though - including whether we should make packages module-only.

As package maintainers we all make technical decisions which have
significant impact on our users every day - whether that's in the choice
of defaults, choice of build flags, or whatever.  Honestly delivering as
modules-vs-non-modules is a completely trivial issue compared to most of
the stuff I spend time on.  If "yum install X" still works most people
just don't care about the RPM/dnf/repo mechanics behind that.

Except it works only half way. The installation works. Later, dependencies are broken. Upgrades are broken. "yum remove X" does not undo the action completely.

The main issue is: user just enabled a module without doing it explicitly. The user needs to know how to handle modules in order to recover.

We are also Fedora developers and we are trying to do the sensible choice here.

--
Miro Hrončok