Re: Fedora 31 Self-Contained Change proposal: Move test.support module to python3-test subpackage

On 25. 06. 19 12:07, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:48:42AM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 25. 06. 19 9:50, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
I would say the scoping should happen (e.g. in copr) first, then we'll
know what the scope (and hence feasibility) of this change truly is.

What will the scoping actually tell us? If it tells us that X hundred packages
need to add BR for python3-test, we'll just do that and report the list to
upstream. We can do that during the mass rebuild.

If there would indeed be X hundred packages affected, would this move
still make sense?  The python3-test subpackage is even larger than most
of the rest of python3 combined, and the vast majority of it is
irrelevant to other packages.  Such usage would indicate to me that
some work needs to be done within the ecosystem to respect its official
status as internal-only.  (Perhaps, in that case, a move to python3-
devel could be considered instead.)

Good questions. What number of affected packages do you think would be crucial?
I say X hundred, because I don't anticipate it will go to thousands. However
with 3000 Python packages, couple hundreds is IMHO not a big deal. Note that
this is  build dependency, not a runtime one.

Nevertheless, there has been a great deal of effort recently to shrink
buildroots and speed up build times.  Having to add BR: python3-test to
packages would mean adding a download of ~9MiB and an installation of
~3K files to every single affected package's build time.  IMO this
needs to be fully scoped before consideration.

Wait a minute, adding a BR python3-test would mean an additional 9MiB ok, but
currently these files are part of python3-libs which *every packages* get.
In other words, for the packages that require python3-test the amount of data
downloaded doesn't change while for all the packages that do *not* require
python3-test, the amount of data is reduced.
This sounds like a win to me :)

Unfortunately, this is not correct.

python3-test already is large.

We just move a small bit of python3-libs (test.support) and we move it to
python3-test for consistency.

test.support is 396K installed (for Python 3.8).

Arf, then it's a lesser win than I thought.
Have you considered doing a python3-test-support subpackage? This would allow
the separate package and thus give you the information you're looking for as
well as avoid downloading the entire python3-test for these few files.

The purpose of this change is to make packaging of Python easier and avoid problems, when the test.support module cannot be properly used without the rest of the test module. What you are proposing will make packaging more complicated and would not eliminate the problems at all.

I think we are talking about couple packages here. Would it make sense to have a number and say that if more than X packages suddenly need to add BR for python3-test, we revert the change and consider a different approach?

BTW python3-test is now buildrequired by 7 packages:
 python-bz2file
 python-honcho
 python-iniparse
 python-kitchen