Re: Fedora 31 Self-Contained Change proposal: Move test.support module to python3-test subpackage

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:48:42AM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:

> > > Nevertheless, there has been a great deal of effort recently to shrink
> > > buildroots and speed up build times.  Having to add BR: python3-test to
> > > packages would mean adding a download of ~9MiB and an installation of
> > > ~3K files to every single affected package's build time.  IMO this
> > > needs to be fully scoped before consideration.
> >
> > Wait a minute, adding a BR python3-test would mean an additional 9MiB ok, but
> > currently these files are part of python3-libs which *every packages* get.
> > In other words, for the packages that require python3-test the amount of data
> > downloaded doesn't change while for all the packages that do *not* require
> > python3-test, the amount of data is reduced.
> > This sounds like a win to me :)
>
> Unfortunately, this is not correct.
>
> python3-test already is large.
>
> We just move a small bit of python3-libs (test.support) and we move it to
> python3-test for consistency.
>
> test.support is 396K installed (for Python 3.8).

Arf, then it's a lesser win than I thought.
Have you considered doing a python3-test-support subpackage? This would allow
the separate package and thus give you the information you're looking for as
well as avoid downloading the entire python3-test for these few files.

Pierre