Re: Fedora 31 Self-Contained Change proposal: Move test.support module to python3-test subpackage

On Tue, 2019-06-25 at 00:26 +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 25. 06. 19 0:18, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> > > What will the scoping actually tell us? If it tells us that X hundred packages
> > > need to add BR for python3-test, we'll just do that and report the list to
> > > upstream. We can do that during the mass rebuild.
> >
> > If there would indeed be X hundred packages affected, would this move
> > still make sense?  The python3-test subpackage is even larger than most
> > of the rest of python3 combined, and the vast majority of it is
> > irrelevant to other packages.  Such usage would indicate to me that
> > some work needs to be done within the ecosystem to respect its official
> > status as internal-only.  (Perhaps, in that case, a move to python3-
> > devel could be considered instead.)
>
> Good questions. What number of affected packages do you think would be crucial?
> I say X hundred, because I don't anticipate it will go to thousands. However
> with 3000 Python packages, couple hundreds is IMHO not a big deal. Note that
> this is  build dependency, not a runtime one.

Nevertheless, there has been a great deal of effort recently to shrink
buildroots and speed up build times.  Having to add BR: python3-test to
packages would mean adding a download of ~9MiB and an installation of
~3K files to every single affected package's build time.  IMO this
needs to be fully scoped before consideration.

--
Yaakov Selkowitz
Senior Software Engineer - Platform Enablement