Re: Fedora 31 Self-Contained Change proposal: Move test.support module to python3-test subpackage

On 24. 06. 19 22:25, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
On Mon, 2019-06-24 at 22:10 +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 24. 06. 19 22:06, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
On Mon, 2019-06-24 at 12:09 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Move_test.support_module_to_python3-test_subpackage

== Summary ==

<code>python3-test</code> subpackage.

== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:lbalhar| Lumír Balhar]]
* Email: [mailto:lbalhar@xxxxxxxxxx| lbalhar@xxxxxxxxxx]

== Detailed Description ==

Python test modules should be used only for testing Python itself.
However, some packages have buildtime or runtime dependency on parts
of Python test modules. The aim of this change is to move the most
popular Python test module <code>test.support</code> from
which will help us discover packages which depend on it and also
identify parts of the module which might be useful to move to standard
library.

The main reason for this change is to *experiment* and see what breaks
when it is moved?  Why can't that be done in copr instead?

The main reason for this change is to make packaging of Python easier (and more
explicit) and less error prone in the future. Discovering packages that need
test.support is a secondary goal that help upstream but does not help Fedora much.

Should the change be reworded so this is more clear?

I would say the scoping should happen (e.g. in copr) first, then we'll
know what the scope (and hence feasibility) of this change truly is.

What will the scoping actually tell us? If it tells us that X hundred packages need to add BR for python3-test, we'll just do that and report the list to upstream. We can do that during the mass rebuild.

--
Miro Hrončok