Re: Frequently broken Rawhide/Branched composes

On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 02:58:45PM +0000, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>    On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 9:54 AM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>    wrote:
>
>      On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 03:33:44PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>      > Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
>      >
>      > > On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 07:35:00PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>      > >> So please let us just repeal that "Rawhide can never go backwards"
>      > >> policy.
>      > >
>      > > This is actually a fair point, but I wonder what prevents us from
>      doing it
>      > > today.
>      >
>      > Technically, nothing. This is purely a policy issue.
>
>      I'd be curious if there isn't more than just this, or if someone
>      remembers why
>      that policy was created.
>
>    I *think* that the reason for Rawhide not being able to go backwards is
>    simple RPM limitations; if people have updated their system with rawhide
>    packages and encounter a serious bug, if we just roll the updates repo
>    back to the previous working package, the people who upgraded to it have
>    no *automatic* way forwards.
>    Though, I suppose we could perhaps implement this policy if we
>    special-cased (or simply encouraged) people on Rawhide to use distro-sync
>    instead of simple update.

> But that has its own issues.

Sorry, just to be clear, what would have its own issues:
- asking rawhide users to use distro-sync instead of update?
- automatically have dnf detect it's running in rawhide and default to
  distro-sync instead of update?
- or.. ?

Random stupid question, what does update bring in addition to distro-sync?
Is one more cpu/memory/bandwidth expensive than the other?

Thanks,
Pierre