Re: Frequently broken Rawhide/Branched composes

On 03/06/2018 07:47 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 02:58:45PM +0000, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
...snip...
>> But that has its own issues.
>
> Sorry, just to be clear, what would have its own issues:
> - asking rawhide users to use distro-sync instead of update?
> - automatically have dnf detect it's running in rawhide and default to
>   distro-sync instead of update?
> - or.. ?

I'll note that this has come up before in the past after we had
distro-sync, and I tried here to use distro-sync instead of update on my
rawhide laptop, and I ran into issues. Unfortunately, it's been a while
so I can't fully recall what the problem was, but I do remember
distro-sync failed and I had to use update. I can give it a try again
and see if things are any better.

Do note that distro-sync can downgrade packages, but can't handle all
the cases. ie, upgrade postgresql and update all your data you can't
just downgrade the rpm and be fine. Or any number of other scriptlets
that do things that cannot easily be reversed.

> Random stupid question, what does update bring in addition to distro-sync?
> Is one more cpu/memory/bandwidth expensive than the other?

No, just distro-sync will downgrade things to match the repo in addition
to upgrading things to match the repo.

kevin