Re: Frequently broken Rawhide/Branched composes

On 02/28/2018 06:19 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Fabio Valentini wrote:
>> AFAICT, those "broken deps in rawhide" mails are only sent if there is a
>> compose, and during the past weeks, there have been few of those ... so
>> breakage is sometimes allowed to sit unnoticed (and grow increasingly
>> worse) for very long.
>
> Isn't that the real issue to fix? Failed Rawhide composes used to be a rare
> event. Now we have both Rawhide and Branched composes broken for days at a
> time, e.g., currently since February 20. This is just not acceptable.

Some of us have been/are working on fixing it. I agree that its not good
and we should work to fix it.

> Something needs to be done to make the compose process more robust, e.g.:
> * running createrepo on a stable release, so that we do not have to be able
>   to init a chroot of the target system to compose a repository. A broken
>   dependency, even in systemd or rpm, should NEVER be a reason for the
>   repository to fail to compose.
> * publishing individual deliverables one at a time, i.e.:
>   1. compose the repositories,
>   2. sync the repositories out to the mirrors,
>   3. build the images (atomic ostrees, live images etc.) one at a time,
>   4. sync those images that succeeded out to the mirrors, keep the old
>      versions of the other ones (the matching SRPMs are in Koji anyway, so
>      it does not matter if the SRPMs in the tree don't match)
> etc.

I disagree entirely with the above. I think the solution is to gate
packages coming into rawhide and hold or reject those that break the
compose until they are fixed. I think being proactive is VASTLY better
than being reactive. Not breaking something in the first place is much
easier to deal with than trying to fix it later.

> Right now, e.g., we have a known broken GCC (8.0.1-0.14) in the Rawhide and
> Branched trees (which miscompiles the Chromium/QtWebEngine build tool GN on
> x86_64), the fix (8.0.1-0.16) has already been in the right Koji tags for
> days, but any third-party repository (RPM Fusion, Copr, etc.) will still get
> the broken GCC. This is not acceptable.

I'm sure there's any number of bugs in any number of collections of
packages.

We had a successfull rawhide compose today. Many thanks to Patrick,
Adam, Dusty, Mohan, Dennis, the installer team and many others for
working through all the breakage.

Branched is running now, hopefully it will finish later today.

kevin