Re: Frequently broken Rawhide/Branched composes

Le mardi 06 mars 2018 à 15:53 +0100, Pierre-Yves Chibon a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 03:33:44PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:

> > > This is actually a fair point, but I wonder what prevents us from
> > > doing it today.
> >
> > Technically, nothing. This is purely a policy issue.
>
> I'd be curious if there isn't more than just this, or if someone
> remembers why
> that policy was created.

The “never go backwards” policy means that as soon something hits devel
other packages can rely on your package and start adapting
their packages on the basis of your changes. You can not pull the carpet
from under their feet just because you changed your mind.

Stable releases do not need this policy because devel is used to
coordinate the direction the distro does towards.

That's pretty much the only way to run development over a large pile of
code that involves many people over many organisations, timezones and
countries. There is just not enough bandwidth to communicate changes
better than "here is the repo that makes authority, you can rely on it
always going forward".

Linus has pretty much the same policy when he forces kernel developers
to commit on the API they push to him.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot