Re: [modularity] Modules and AppStream

On Sat, 2017-08-26 at 15:13 +0200, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Matthew Miller [25/08/2017 16:23] :
> >
> >                             From a user perspective,
> > https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/ works very well for me
> > (and
> > it's _way_ faster than it was several years ago).
>
> I would agree if it wasn't for packages' issue #286
>
> I suspect that packages uses pkgdb to get the information it displays
> so arguing that the former can replace the latter after its
> retirement
> seems misguided.
>
> >                                                   From a
> > contributor
> > perspective, https://src.fedoraproject.org/ seems adequate if not
> > yet
> > perfect. The ability to display readme files _alone_ seems like a
> > big
> > step forward. It'd be nice to have better search and browsing, but
> > the
> > original pkgdb web UI wasn't great there _either_.
>
> It's still has a number of critical issues (#6208 is the biggest one
> that comes to me).
>
> I think Neal's point is that we knew this was coming. We knew that
> pkgdb retirement would be half-baked before it happenned. We even
> discussed it on this very list. Couldn't we have delayed the pkgdb
> retirement until it had less issues? Can we learn from this change
> and ensure future changes are handled better?
I share most of Neal's feelings, I don't particularly think that
replacing pkgdb with pagure was bad idea even it was not completely
ready. We are not able to predict everything what would break if we
change / replace piece X. puiterwijk, pingou and others are very
responsive and fixing every issues are coming up, this is awesome!

While I don't like how modularity does things and stuff like that, I
try to help as much as I can.. What I don't like and get frustrated is
that modularity is forced a lot and we get huge changes in
infrastructure and a lot of other pieces, but when we ask for way
smaller changes (supporting rich dependencies), everyone hides
(definitely there are exceptions)... For more than half year we are
trying to get answers, Rust Packaging got delayed by 2 releases already
.. And only now, something is starting to happen (after Flock). That's
my main frustration with modularity (it can be replaced with anything
else what would be forced so much in Fedora while ignoring other
stuff).

What I am trying to say, doing changes (even they are not fully
prepared) is fine, but completely ignoring people who want to make some
changes which affect infrastructure while doing even bigger and less
prepared changes is bad.

> Emmanuel

- --
- -Igor Gnatenko