Re: [modularity] Modules and AppStream

* Matthew Miller [25/08/2017 16:23] :

>                             From a user perspective,
> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/ works very well for me (and
> it's _way_ faster than it was several years ago).

I would agree if it wasn't for packages' issue #286

I suspect that packages uses pkgdb to get the information it displays
so arguing that the former can replace the latter after its retirement
seems misguided.

>                                                   From a contributor
> perspective, https://src.fedoraproject.org/ seems adequate if not yet
> perfect. The ability to display readme files _alone_ seems like a big
> step forward. It'd be nice to have better search and browsing, but the
> original pkgdb web UI wasn't great there _either_.

It's still has a number of critical issues (#6208 is the biggest one
that comes to me).

I think Neal's point is that we knew this was coming. We knew that
pkgdb retirement would be half-baked before it happenned. We even
discussed it on this very list. Couldn't we have delayed the pkgdb
retirement until it had less issues? Can we learn from this change
and ensure future changes are handled better?

Emmanuel