Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On Tue, 2017-07-18 at 21:41 +0200, nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> De: "Owen Taylor"
>
> > But I want to be clear that there is no *proposal* on the
> > table to ship things Flatpak only, and *no proposed timescale*. And
> > there won't be until we know how the tools work out for packagers,
> > how
> > Flatpak usage works out for users, and we have a significant body
> > of
> > Fedora packages built as Flatpaks to look at things like installed
> > size
> > and network usage.
>
> Then I'm glad there is absolutely no plan to preempt flatpack
> technical assessment by shipping one or more GNOME apps as flatpack-
> only, leaving Fedora users for whom flatpack does not work yet
> behind, and bypassing distribution consensus processes.

Matthias Clasen, spare-time upstream GNOME Developer, wrote an
application, largely to see for himself what the upstream developer
experience was for writing an application to be sandboxed using
Flatpak portals, and what the upstream developer experience is
distributing code to users as a Flatpak.

It's not entirely unsurprising that Matthias Clasen, Fedora
Contributor, was not particularly interested in packaging that non-
sandboxed, not as a Flatpak, nor that Matthias Clasen, manager of a
portion of the Red Hat desktop team, didn't find it a priority to
assign someone to do it.

While I think it's a bit unfriendly to distribute code that someone
intended to be a test case and showcase for Flatpaks as a non-Flatpak,
I don't think there's anything in the Fedora guidelines that would
prevent someone else from submitting that package.

But maybe it would be more useful to try it out the Flatpak and see
what the experience is like, and what needs to be improved? [*]

In other words, GNOME Recipes is a special case, not some declaration
that we're never going to package any new GNOME application as a
Flatpak again.

Owen

[*] Note that the stable Flatpak of GNOME Recipes is huge, not because
it's a Flatpak, but because it contains all the images from all the
recipes. This is fixed in the nightly version, which downloads images
on demand.