Re: Split translations to noarch packages?

Am 27.04.2017 um 22:29 schrieb Tomasz Kłoczko:
On 27 April 2017 at 21:54, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 27.04.2017 um 21:50 schrieb Tomasz Kłoczko:
OK so what kind of problem solves those changes? Can I have look on some
bugzilla entry?
split packages where it *really* matters instead create thousands of small
rpm packages where the metadata and overhead is much larger than the few
bytes in the standard package?
So far *only* argument was that his split may save ~1GB on ftp server.

And lots of terabytes when syncing the mirrors…

[mode=sarcastic]
If Fedora Foundation is in so big financial troubles I can donate 1GB
SD card out of my pocket (probably 2-3 pounds with delivery to US).
Just please give me address where this card needs to be delivered.
[/mode]

It's not about the money, really… This is a great step towards "Green-IT"… Every bit of a transmission needs energy and it is a great idea to save energy, by just such a little change.

Fedora currently has about 19k packages in each maintained release / branch, thats a total of about 76k packages. If such a little change saves about 100KB of storage in average for every single package, it's a total saving of about 7.25 GB. This saves about 7.25 GB for syncing of each mirror; for 242 active mirrors that's a total of 1.71 TB of transmitted data…

Cheers,
  Björn