Re: Split translations to noarch packages?

On Thu, 2017-04-27 at 13:31 +0200, David Tardon wrote:
> There is a reason that libreoffice puts l10n data into separate
> subpackages.

	Hi,
yes, there is a very good reason for it and I'm not questioning that.
libreoffice was just an example of a package which does that already,
but also fails to do the right (or better "expected by me") thing, for
which you gave a bug link. Thanks for it.

As had been said in this thread, one approach doesn't work for all
packages. I made it my way for the core evolution packages this morning
for rawhide. There is only one langpacks subpackage. I looked also on
syncevolution, because I've been curious, and the split translations
package was around 90KB of size, thus it didn't make any sense to split
the translations and I left syncevolution unchanged. That makes me
think that there are these kinds of packages:
a) without any translation - no changes for these
b) with only a small translations - like syncevolution, split doesn't
   make sense
c) with semi-large translations - packages, where split translations by
   language is less useful or impractical, thus one package with all
   languages is preferred/used
d) with large translations - languages are that large that it's
   better to split the langpacks into per-language subpackages
e) with large translations and additions - like libreoffice,
   translations split by language as well, but libreoffice also adds
   more dependencies to these translation packages (as you said).

I did with evolution core packages what I thought is the best. I do not
use weak dependencies, I define a hard dependency between the langpacks
and the binary package, both ways, thus users get either both or none
of them. That makes the change backward compatible, while still helping
with disk usage on build servers and mirrors. One part of backward
compatibility in this case is also related to d),e) above, where, for
the way I made it, users can switch languages and they will have the UI
translated without a need to install additional package(s).

When starting this thread here, I did not intent to suggest any change
on the build servers to do things automatically, I was more interested
in ideas and opinions of other packagers. It would be nice to have
these things done transparently, with minimal lines in RPM .spec file,
but as there are a-b-c-d-e cases named above (and/or there can be found
even more), then it makes it impractical. If this thread will lead to
some "nice-to-have packaging guideline", then it would be welcome and
more than I expected from it.

> Btw, I'm not sure what do you mean by "divide langpacks by country".

It's just a terminology. What I call "by country", other (more
educated) folks call "by language/region/variant". Simply
not-all-translations in one single subpackage.

	Thanks and bye,
	Milan