Re: Proposal: Rethink Fedora multilib support (Take Two!)

On Sat, Jan 07, 2017 at 03:47:56AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I don't buy this sort of alarmist bulldung that keeps being claimed with no
> evidence whatsoever to justify radical changes to what Fedora is all about,
> such as:
> * promoting proprietary drivers (making them easier to use, adding them to
>   GNOME Software, etc.), which contradicts our Freedom principle,
> * moving away from integrated packages (which are what a distribution is all
>   about) towards modules and containers (which, incidentally, also make it
>   easier to deliver non-free blobs),
> etc.

I don't think it's "alarmist" to note that things change, and that we
need to be aware of and follow changes to remain relevant. And, there
is plenty of evidence that things have, in fact, changed, and will be
changing even more and more rapidly over the next few years. I
encourage you to look at pretty much *any* analyst report over the last
few years, or attend a big IT conference yourself and _talk to people_.

But — and I don't know how I can stress this any louder — this is all
*technical change*. None of it is about changing Fedora's fundamental
values. Fedora is and will always be a pure free software project.
That's what we are all here for.

Now, I do see that many people in this larger thread care about
avoiding changes that break existing proprietary software. To me,
that's _caring about users_, not promoting the proprietary software; if
all those users are forced elsewhere, we have no way of reaching them
at all. So, yeah, let's not break Steam and Wine and whatever else,
unless we have a really strong reason. But none of this has to do what
you are responding to specifically, which is the Modularity effort. I
can state unequivocally that "making it easier to deliver non-free
blobs" isn't any part of the motivation. It is entirely about how we
can better deliver the universe of free and open source software.

> I think that by destroying what Fedora is all about, we will become a
> footnote in history. On the other hand, sticking to our principles (Freedom)
> and to our technical strengths (an integrated distribution of integrated
> packages) will keep us relevant for a long time to come.

All of this stuff you are saying about "destroying what Fedora is all
about" is the "alarmist nonsense" with no evidence or justification. I
don't see how it's helpful whatsoever to rant about it.

And we need to also remember some of the other Fedora foundations —
when there is change in the open source world, we should be exploring
and leading that change: Features and First. All of that together is
what Fedora is all about.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>