Re: Proposal: Rethink Fedora multilib support (Take Two!)

On 01/06/2017 08:07 AM, drago01 wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 01/06/2017 01:08 AM, drago01 wrote:
>>>
>>>     Two suggestions were raised as alternatives to the container approach:
>>>
>>>     * Switch to using the Debian style of multi-arch layout, which instead of
>>>     /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 uses /usr/lib/$ARCH-linux-gnu. Benefits to this would
>>>     include the emergence of a de-facto standard for system layout between the major
>>>     distributions.
>>>
>>>     * Ship only one arch in the repositories and allow users to trivially enable the
>>>     repositories for other arches through DNF if they have need.
>>>

>>> *  Keep things as they are, which means things keep to "just work" (tm)
>>
>> As Bill pointed out, things "just work" for users right now and that's something
>> we'd like to avoid breaking. However, that does *not* mean that it is trivial to
>> do on the build side.
>
> That may be, but shifting the complexity to the user is simply not an
> option that we should seriously consider.

You keep saying that, without describing what complexity you think is going to
hit the user. I mean, if we shifted to the two-repo approach and shipped the
multi-arch repo as on-by-default, would the user experience change in any
visible way?