Re: future of official optical media support in Fedora

On Dec 15, 2016 08:09, "Matthew Miller" <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 07:31:29AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > This is interesting. Does IPMI also allow you boot from a "remote
> > USB device"?
> Not any of the servers I've worked with. Only remote DVD boot. I've
> never heard of anyone being able to do remote USB or disk device, as I
> think the ability to write over the network is considered not
> desirable...

IBM Bladecenters can mount USB images remotely — although that's just a
disk image file, same as you can do with an .ISO. No physical media
involved in either case.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

All the DRAC/iLO/BMC systems I play with these days mount a remote ISO and present it as optical media. The feature is basically only used for emergencies where regular networking won't do, like when I want the normal network environment for the process and don't want to bother the network folks to change routing and vlans in realtime.

Definitely an edge case, but I'm fairly sure that an image that won't boot from physical optical media also will not boot this way.  It would be more important for RHEL users than Fedora users, I assume.

--Pete