Re: future of official optical media support in Fedora

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Admittedly, I have not gone through the whole thread, but I'd like to
>> point out that I *do* use the DVD and netinstall ISOs for optical
>> media boot on real hardware, though in a somewhat indirect manner.
>> Many of the servers I use have IPMI, which allows me to have it boot a
>> remote DVD device with an ISO or a real DVD drive. Due to certain
>
> This is interesting. Does IPMI also allow you boot from a "remote USB device"?

Not any of the servers I've worked with. Only remote DVD boot. I've
never heard of anyone being able to do remote USB or disk device, as I
think the ability to write over the network is considered not
desirable...

>> bugs[1], I've increasingly relied on the DVD vs netinstall. From the
>> system's perspective, it's a regular DVD startup, just like with VMs.
>
> Well, unfortunately DVD boot on bare metal is different from DVD boot in VMs. The former is proposed to be less tested, the latter would remain fully tested. The question is what form of boot IPMI uses, and that information is probably difficult to find out.
>
> I wonder, why do you prefer remote DVD boot over something like PXE boot, boot.fedoraproject.org or booting the iso directly from grub?

The environment I'm working in doesn't allow us to have a PXE boot
server. boot.fedoraproject.org doesn't seem to work, and even if it
did, that would likely be the equivalent of a netinstall, and
netinstalls are broken until someone does something about how kernel
package flavors are selected and installed. Booting the iso from grub
implies I have something to boot from first (I usually don't), and
also setting up grub is a non-trivial task for this stuff.