Re: future of official optical media support in Fedora

On Fri, 2016-12-16 at 15:49 -0600, Pete Travis wrote:
> All the DRAC/iLO/BMC systems I play with these days mount a remote ISO and
> present it as optical media. The feature is basically only used for
> emergencies where regular networking won't do, like when I want the normal
> network environment for the process and don't want to bother the network
> folks to change routing and vlans in realtime.
>
> Definitely an edge case, but I'm fairly sure that an image that won't boot
> from physical optical media also will not boot this way.

I suspect this is not necessarily the case. We've had a real bug in the
past where the ISO images would boot when attached to virtual machines
as virtual optical media, but would fail to boot on many/most systems
when actually written to a physical optical disc. I have no idea which
side of that split this system falls on, but it seems at least
plausible that it would act more like the 'virtual disc' case than the
'physical disc' case...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey