Re: F26 Self Contained Change: Golang buildmode PIE

On Monday, 12 December 2016 at 12:30, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Golang buildmode PIE =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/golang-buildmode-pie
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Jakub Čajka <jcajka AT fedoraproject DOT org>
>
> Change default build mode of golang in Fedora packaging macros to
> buildmode=pie, which results in packages using them to produce
> Position Independent Executables. Another part of the change is to
> pass the Fedora hardened linker flags to the external linker(regular
> system linker). In result reducing exploit-ability of binaries.
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> Change default build mode of golang in Fedora packaging macros to
> buildmode=pie, which results in packages using them to produce
> Position Independent Executables. Another part of the change is to
> pass the Fedora hardened linker flags to the external linker(regular
> system linker). This will only affect packages that depend on golang
> packaging macros for their build. This should be first step towards
> mandating this on all packages that provide binaries based on golang
> in whole distribution via Go packaging guidelines(which is out of
> scope for this change proposal).

Nowhere in the description do you mention the performance impact
of enabling PIE on the resulting binaries. It's well known that
there is a non-negligible overhead on i686 due to PIC/PIE requiring
an additional register. The impact on x86_64 is actually negligible,
but as far as I know, PowerPC is also impacted due to different
addressing mode, though I'm not sure how much. Did you run any
benchmarks?

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org