Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Fri, 2016-12-09 at 13:21 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > What if we combined this time threshold with, also, auto-pushes happen
> > > only on Monday (or whatever)?
> >
> > I wouldn't hate it. On a visceral level I've never bought the 'batched
> > updates' idea at all, but if it only affects autopushes I don't mind
> > tweaking around. It doesn't involve too much work to change, it's easy
> > to change back, and manual pushes are still available.
>
> For whatever reason I've gotten three update notifications in Gnome
> Software this week alone, and I've done the restart and install each
> time. This is Fedora 25. And then 3-4 times at separate occasions I've
> needed to add some command line items and each time dnf does a full
> fedora and updates repo metadata download of around 40MB each time,
> which is what I thought dnf-makecache.timer was supposed to do in the
> background so I'd never see and have to wait for it just to get a 53K
> program installed.

GNOME Software doesn't use dnf's caches.

Software will check for new updates at most every 48 hours, so if there
happen to *be* new updates every 48 hours and your system is running
the whole time, yeah, you can get 3-and-a-bit update notifications per
week.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey