Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-12-09 at 15:05 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 11:55:26AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> > problem. The fact that updates default to auto-push after +3 karma is
>> > entirely plucked out of the air, it's just something someone made up
>> > one day. We could *certainly* change that. I'd be quite interested in a
>> > tweak where there's a minimum-time-in-testing value for autopush too,
>> > which would default to say 2 days. The way that would work is automatic
>> > push would never happen until the update had actually been in updates-
>> > testing (not queued for push) for that long. *Manual* push could still
>> > be done during that time, and the update submitter could make the
>> > minimum-time-in-testing value larger or smaller (as they can make the
>> > karma threshold for autopush greater or smaller). 2 days would just be
>> > the default (and is similarly a number I've just made up; we could make
>> > it something else).
>>
>> What if we combined this time threshold with, also, auto-pushes happen
>> only on Monday (or whatever)?
>
> I wouldn't hate it. On a visceral level I've never bought the 'batched
> updates' idea at all, but if it only affects autopushes I don't mind
> tweaking around. It doesn't involve too much work to change, it's easy
> to change back, and manual pushes are still available.

For whatever reason I've gotten three update notifications in Gnome
Software this week alone, and I've done the restart and install each
time. This is Fedora 25. And then 3-4 times at separate occasions I've
needed to add some command line items and each time dnf does a full
fedora and updates repo metadata download of around 40MB each time,
which is what I thought dnf-makecache.timer was supposed to do in the
background so I'd never see and have to wait for it just to get a 53K
program installed.

So batching would be vastly preferred to what I've been experiencing
this week even though I agree that the Windows update Tuesdays model
has its own short coming; not least of which is the connotation.

--
Chris Murphy